Bounce Rate in GA4 vs Universal Analytics
As a website owner, you’re probably always looking for ways to decrease your bounce rate and increase engagement on your site. But what’s the difference between the bounce rate in Google Analytics 4 (GA4) and Universal Analytics?
Chart Source: Google
Bounce Rate in GA4
Bounce rate was not included initially in GA4, but Google decided to reverse course and announced that it would be included on July 11th, 2022. It is not the same bounce rate metric that you are used to, however.
Bounce rate in GA4 is defined as the percentage of sessions that were not engaged sessions. Engaged Sessions is the number of sessions that lasted longer than 10 seconds, had a conversion event, or had at least 2 pageviews or screen views.
Bounce Rate in Universal Analytics
Bounce rate in Universal Analytics, on the other hand, is the percentage of single-page sessions in which there was no interaction with the page. A bounced session has a duration of 0 seconds.
So, what does this mean for you and your website? If you’re seeing a high bounce rate, it could mean that your visitors aren’t finding what they’re looking for on your site. They may be landing on a page and leaving because they can’t find what they need.
How to Improve Bounce Rate
There are a few things you can do to improve your website’s bounce rate:
- Make sure your website is relevant to your visitors. If they’re landing on a page and immediately leaving, it could be because the content isn’t relevant to what they’re looking for.
- Keep your content fresh and up-to-date. If your website is outdated, visitors may not stay long on your site.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate. If visitors can’t find what they’re looking for, they will likely leave.
- Use engaging visuals and videos. If your website is boring, visitors are less likely to stick around.
- Use compelling calls to action. If you don’t tell visitors what you want them to do, they may not do anything at all.
By following these tips, you can improve your website’s bounce rate and keep visitors on your site longer!
If you are looking for more money-saving marketing tips, download your free 7-day online marketing jumpstart.
Stop Wasting Money Marketing Your Business Online
Join my email list to get your copy of the Online Marketing Jumpstart PDF!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.