Remarketing Audience Setup in Google Ads (2024 Edition)
Remarketing, also known as retargeting, is a form of online advertising that allows you to show ads to people who have previously visited your website.
The Benefits of Remarketing
- Keeps your brand top of mind with interested visitors after they leave your site
- Allows you to re-engage shoppers who didn't convert the first time
- Enables you to tailor your message based on pages they viewed or products they shopped
- Less expensive than targeting new visitors since they already know your brand (it is a great way to stop overspending in your ad account)
- Higher conversion rates compared to standard display advertising
How to Create Remarketing Audiences
There are two main ways to create remarketing audiences for your ads - directly in Google Ads or through importing audiences from Google Analytics.
Method 1: Create Audiences Directly in Google Ads
1. Navigate to Tools > Shared Library > Audience Manager
2. Click the "+" button to "Create remarketing list"
3. Choose "Website visitors" and name your list
4. Select the scope for your audience
- "Visitors to web pages" targets anyone who visited any or some of your website pages
- "Visitors to pages with specific tags" allows more advanced configurations
5. Set the time frame for visitors to include
- 30 days is the default, but you can adjust as needed
6. If you selected "Visitors to web pages", you can use 'Refine action; to filter by page URL or Referrer URL
7. Click "Create segment" and check audience size after 24-72 hours
Method 2: Create Audiences in Google Analytics and Import
1. In Google Ads Audience Manager, click the "+" button
2. Select "Google Analytics'
3. Choose your Analytics account, and select 'Continue'
4. Enable imports from your Analytics property (if you haven't already)
5. In Analytics, click "Create a custom audience' or select one of the prebuilt audiences.
6. Build inclusion/exclusion rules based on locations, technologies, behavior, demographic data, and more
7. Name your list, save it, and Google Ads will import it
Tips for Audience Creation
- Start broad with all website visitors, then refine into smaller segments
- Audiences under 1,000 may not be viable in Google Ads
- Let new audiences fully populate over 72 hours before targeting
- Experiment with custom combinations to identify your best customers
- Update audiences frequently as new users arrive on your site
With precise targeting from remarketing, you can maximize the impact of your ad spend by focusing on high-intent users who already know your brand.
Remarketing is a proven way to boost traffic, leads and sales from your advertising initiatives! One final thing! You can even create a remarketing audience for people who viewed your YouTube videos.
Stop Wasting Money Marketing Your Business Online
Join my email list to get your copy of the Online Marketing Jumpstart PDF!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.